It’s a mantra in real estate. “Declutter your house before putting it on the market.” A dumpster rental can help make decluttering easy.
If you don’t have time for a yard sale, and have already donated what someone else might want to use, and you still have a ton of stuff, renting a dumpster from JR’s Hauling and Roll Off Dumpster Rental may be an ideal solution. We offer dumpster rental and delivery right to your home, and pick up when you’re done. We offer affordable dumpster rental and junk removal services to customers throughout Harford County and Baltimore County, including Kingsville, Bel Air, Aberdeen and surrounding areas.
Whether you’re downsizing, moving up in the world or handling an estate sale, dumpster rental and junk removal services can help you get the job done.
Things to remove to make the home look more spacious:
- Excess furniture, especially anything broken or damaged by pets
- Anything blocking the entryway or crowding the hallway
- Exercise equipment – put it in storage if you use it. If it’s broken, trash it.
- Books, magazines and newspapers – recycle
- Plants – toss sickly looking plants
- Pictures, paintings, posters oh my! Take them down and store them.
- Cabinets, pantry and countertops – toss any food item more than a year old. Clear out the cabinets of miscellaneous items just tossed in. Consider getting rid of extra sets of dishes or pots and pans, and just keeping what you need and use regularly.
- Donate or toss clothes to make your closets look bigger. If you haven’t worn it in a year, it can go.
- Limit the linens. Linen closets should be cleared to showcase them. Throw away or donate unnecessary items. Donate old towels, sheets and comforters to your local SPCA or dump them. Nobody needs 15 sets of towels.
- Be brutal when it comes to the garage and attic. Potential buyers want to see a lot of space for their own stuff. Get rid of all that old paint, broken items, etc.
- Beware of the basement. If you’ve been using your basement to store anything that just didn’t have a place anywhere else, you may need to put it in storage. Or, if your basement is at all damp, you should probably dump everything, because mold and mildew thrive in damp, dark places.
If there are items you can’t bear to throw away but are cluttering the home, put them in storage until the home sells. And look at it this way: The more you donate or dispose of, the less you have to move. And if you’re paying a moving company, that can be a big deal, since many companies charge by the pound.
Decluttering your home allows prospective buyers to more easily imagine their own belongings in your home, and allows them to see how much space there really is. Crowded rooms and closets make a space look smaller than it actually is.
Call 443-286-3284 today to schedule your dumpster rental. We can suggest the best dumpster size based on how big the house is, how long you’ve lived there and whether it’s a total cleanout or you’re just getting rid of some stuff that’s accumulated over the years. We deliver right to your street or driveway, and pick up when you’re done.
Before calling to get a dumpster rental quote, you’ll want to have some information handy. And just like any service, you should ask friends and neighbors for references, and get 2-3 quotes. Make sure to compare apples to apples, and make sure all dumpster rental companies are including landfill fees and any other fees in their quote.
What Size Dumpster Do You Need?
The dumpster rental company should ask you about the size and scope of your project to help answer this question. Here are some common dumpster sizes used for residential and commercial projects that require a dumpster rental:
- 10 yard dumpster – small remodeling projects and medium sized clean ups.
- 15 yard dumpster — medium sized renovation projects and large home cleanup projects
- 20 yard dumpster – larger projects such as new construction
Keep in mind that you can rent more than one dumpster at a time, which is especially useful if you need to separate items for disposal.
What Type of Materials Will You Be Putting In Your Container?
Here are some examples of common projects and the type of dumpster they require:
- Construction & remodeling projects – ask for a construction dumpster.
- For driveway & patio repairs – ask for a concrete dumpster.
- For landscaping & yard clean-up – ask for a dirt dumpster
- For home cleanup projects – ask for a trash dumpster
The reason to request a specific kind of dumpster is that there are different means of disposal and different regulations covering various types of junk and debris. Also, we can recycle concrete, metal and yard waste. So you would want to fill a dumpster with yard waste, and a second dumpster with concrete, for example. This is common in landscaping projects.
You should be prepared to give a specific date for delivery, and a specific date for the dumpster rental company to come pick up the dumpster and haul it away. The dumpster rental company should provide you with a list of prohibited items, as well as any penalty fees for disposing of prohibited items or failure to be ready on the day of schedule pickup.
We hope you’ll consider dumpster rental with JR’s Hauling and Dumpster Rental Service. We deliver and pickup in Harford County and Baltimore Count, and we serve both residential and commercial customers. Call us at 443-286-3284 for a free quote.